i love that robot so damn much <3
Favourite animators: Mitsuo Iso (磯光雄) and his work on the End of Evangelion
- Mitsuo Iso is known for his jerky yet detailed animation, full of dense sophisticated motion. He refers to his own style as “full limited" or "full 3-frame". In traditional animation, animation with a drawing count below one drawing every two frames (or "on twos") is considered limited animation. Working on threes and fours, Iso draws every keyframe without passing his work to an in-betweener, allowing him full control to create the most detailed motion possible with the fewest number of drawings, hence the term "full limited". (wikipedia)
- Introduction to Mitsuo Iso’s style
- Sakuga: The Animation of Anime pt.7 - Mitsuo Iso and New Realism
- More scenes animated by Mitsuo Iso: part 1, part 2, the fight from EoE
- List of anime he’s worked on + sakuga wiki
- He also wrote and directed the 2007 anime series “Dennō Coil”
the way asuka swings that blade with such weight, the scale of this sequence and the way the trees and ground are destroyed that’s the stuff that haunts my dreams. I think this particular sequence, Iso’s stuff, is so deeply imbedded in how i think about large-scale action & fights like this in my own work.
Welp that’s 100 images. Until next whenever!
https://31.media.tumblr.com/598fbdb70526f5bf9f8ffd6d3f4f0b74/tumblr_n1hfyqnGAQ1qguvimo3_1280.jpg i always thought that first frame looked like a shin chan girl face
Remember when this scene was featured on QUALITY
mega64official please no. it hurts too much.
I wanted to reverse-troll them but they all fell for it
now, I like FLCL as much as everyone else, but it did have its share of fuck-ups. this scene in particular screams ‘budget cut’ http://i.imgur.com/ywM7w.jpg that anatomy qwfyhohfoqowlfupioquwfpd
I submitted this as a troll as “HetaliaGirl” but they fell for it
this scene was one of the expensive one’s and very time consuming. The animation quality was pretty high, simplistic drawings don’t mean low budget.
The only low budget scene in flcl was the southpark part
It’s always fascinating to me that the most vocal “critics” are the ones with the least information/attachment to said project. Even i know that opinion isn’t fact…even if it’s written in the form of a blog. Thanks for saving me the time on the explanation Bahi :-)
Well in this case the “criticism” was actually meant as a joke/trolling on busterbeam’s part, as he said above. He elaborates here. I’ve followed him on and off and one of his pet peeves are people making the false assumption that animation going off-model or drawn in an anatomically incorrect way for the sake of fluidity, emotional emphasis, etc. is automatically bad animation. So the dude actually agrees with you guys, he was seeing if ‘fuckyeahqualityanimation’ would catch if his submission was a gag. They didn’t.
This is a lovely remastered version of GAINAX’s amateur film DAICON IV, set to ELO’s “Twilight.”
I was in charge of securing the rights for the use of “Twilight” and the Playboy bunny costume. After a lot of spendy long-distance calls (it was 1989, and long distance cost like one was calling Pluto), it was decided time was better spent elsewhere.
My feeling was, as much as I loved “Twilight,” and as much of an achievement it was for a unpaid rag-tag group of twenty-somethings it was going to be seen as an amateur film and we’d be laughed off.
This video still makes me cry like I’m seeing it for the first time. It simply hits all the right buttons.
Gainax also dropped a reference to this film in FLCL, with Haruko dawning a bunny suit and riding around her guitar.